Friday, May 2, 2014

5.2.14

Objective:
I can demonstrate understanding of the parameters for the SHRRP outline, and track my research in my dialectical research log.  I can collate evidence, evaluating it for credibility and usefulness.

I can deepen my understanding of global poverty, by perusing and responding to terminology and literary accounts.  I can support my assertions with textual evidence.

I can make inferences, evaluate evidence and conclusions, detect underlying assumptions, and see relationships around a theme of injustice.



1.  Launch -- review for your vocab quiz
    1a.  Review Millennium Development Goals
2.  Quiz!
     2a.  When you are finished, start your weekend HW
3.  TED Talk by Ananya Roy
     3a.  Response Log
4.  Exit ticket -- submit Response Log

Need a break?  Check out this video of an adorable kitten falling asleep, standing up!

Check out Ms. G's college essay

Homework:  Read and annotate Solidarity Not Charity: Racism in Katrina Relief Work (be prepared for a quickwrite about it on Monday)

SHRRP Research Compendium
i.  Week 1:
    a.  UNICEF
    b.  NESRI
    c.  Learning Outcomes Assessment
    d.  HREA Study Guide
    e.  NPR: on bias amongst professors (audio)
    f.  Access of Ethnic Minorities to Higher Education (article published by Berkeley Center for Higher Education)
    g.  The Opportunity Gap (NYTimes article)
    h.  Michigan's Ban on Affirmative Action Upheld by Supreme Court (CNN)
    i.  Minorities and whites follow unequal paths to college  (Washington Post)

ii.  Week 2:
     a.  The Eyes of the Poor by Charles Baudelaire
     b.  The Nobodies by Eduardo Galeano
     c.  What is Poverty?  by Jo Goodwin Parker
     d.  Ms. G's photos

No comments:

Post a Comment